How did Hitler Consolidate his position between 1933 & 34?
It only took 6 months!
Before addressing this question - one needs to consider 'why' Hitler 'needed' to consolidate his position.
Study the cartoon - what does it suggest?
In reviewing this table - think about which aspect was 'most' important in helping Hitler to Consolidate his position. (From the BBC)
Hitler also extended his power in other ways via 'gleischaltung' or 'co-ordination. This included:
- Local government being reorganised – with Nazi Party officials (Gauleiters or 'district leaders') being put in charge of each area of Germany.
- Trade unions were abolished and their leaders arrested. (Replaced by the DAF, German Labour Front)
- A Concordat (agreement) was signed with the Pope, which allowed Hitler to increase his power in Germany without opposition from the Catholic Church, as long as he left the Church alone.
- The creation of a Police State - the establishment of the Gestapo, SS and concentration camps, Informants etc.
- People's courts: Hitler set up the Nazi people's courts where judges had to swear an oath of loyalty to the Nazis.
- Using propaganda under Goebbels and his Ministry for Propaganda and Enlightenment (Including strict control of the press. media and culture e.f CENSORSHIP)